Thursday, March 31, 2005

What has society come to

I've been reading/watching the news lately, and I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little tired of the exploitation of Terri Schiavo by both sides that are only trying to further their own agendas, at her expense.

I'm all for religion, and I am quite set in my beliefs, but after reading some of the comments, and threads on some of the so called "faith-based" sites out there, I have to question my affiliation with organized religion. I mean people calling others Nazi's because the question something that the pope said a year ago in a speech prepared for him, by a guy (a certain monsignor) who is now saying see, the Pope said it. I mean it's good to have a go-to guy when it comes to setting a direction for the faith and all, but when every word from his/her mouth instantly becomes gospel, and can never be questioned, there's a problem. I thought that was only reserved for God.

Christ himself sought council from those around him, and allowed them to question his words, but the Pope cannot be questioned in the same way. At least Christ would explain to the people what he meant, and why he came to a conclusion.

The people who are pontificating about why Terri should live, or die are most certainly not trying to help anyone but themselves. The Schindlers are getting money from just about every right-wing, pro-life group that has a fund to throw around. Not to mention the big right wing evangelist pro-lifer sitting in the oval office trying to step outside the bounds of his branch of government, and the same goes for the rest of the self-righteous members of the legislative, and administrative branches, spending countless dollars, and hours trying to help many political careers; I mean a woman in a hospice. There are reasons why these are seperated, not the least of which, is to keep emotion out of law.

I've spent many hours myself, trying to figure out why there are so many people who are giving millions of combined dollars trying to "save" this woman whom they don't even know, but are completely unwilling to give a few dollars to save people that they probably already know that are starving already, even if they don't know that it's the kid walking to school in front of their house is the one starving. These people are riding on the dying coat-tails of an unfortunate woman. The way that these special-interest groups are talking it seems that they would rather she keep on going in the state that she is in indefinitely, just so they can keep basking in the glow of the public eye, not to mention the glow of the studio lights.

A big thing that I have had a problem with is that people are making out the husband to be this great monster for making this decision now, when it has in fact been in the courts for a very long time now. And when they accuse him of abusing her, and thereby putting her in there, they should also ask themselves why he didn't just say that she was too far gone. I don't want to seem too much like I'm taking this guy's side. But, when I read tonight an article quoting that her "last" CT scan from 1996 showed enough cortex left to be possibly; with radical treatments that are on the cusp of discovery, become conscious. When later it was admitted they had only seen images of 1 slice of the scan, and had never actually examined Terri. Also left out was the fact that the last scan was in 2002, and the doctor that was mandated by the state of Florida to evaluate her condition spent 30 days, trying to find something that would show her as able to recover, which he could not, much to his great dismay.

I think, in my humble opinion that Terri Schiavo should be allowed to pass as her guardian has requested. His reasoning that he has provided time after time has not changed, and none of the formal inquiries into his motivations have proven sinister. This man did not move on the moment his wife was struck down by this condition, he persisted in an admittedly selfish manner in keeping her alive, and was at one point told a restraining order may be filed against him, just to allow the people taking care of her to do their job. And when he finally requested that the cessation of the assistance of which was keeping her in a permanent vegetative state, her family tried to stop it.

Though at this point it really sounds like I can't, but I can sympathize with Terri's family, and would want to keep my family around for as long as possible, and I may eventually grow numb, and maybe even grow to accept the site of my loved one in that condition; But, I would only be doing it for my own sake not theirs. The condition as it has been presented by professionals who have actually examined Terri to carry out a dispassionate evaluation of her, all agree that she will never be able to have any kind of relationship with another man, woman, child, or animal, other than that of one being observed, or patient to be cared for.

Do I think the reason is right? Yes, If Terri is in the most minimal way cognizant, let alone conscious, than she is in a prison of her own body. The only doctors that state that she may be able to become minimally conscious, have never actually examined Terri. I DO NOT want to see her die. I would love nothing more than this to end with Terri getting up, and walking home, healthy and safe. But, that is just not going to happen.

Do I think the method is right? No, I think that it is a horrible way to die. Starvation and dehydration. It's appalling. But, if doctors are allowed to intervene and end her life in a peaceful way using drugs, or other chemicals, a dangerous precedent would be set. Allowing doctor assisted suicide, not to mention the rampant victory celebrations from the right-to-die leftists, (who are just as guilty of using this poor woman as the pro-life).

Whether you agree with me, or think me a monster for thinking this way, is up to you. I have to say in what happens in this situation, I'm in the same position as you. In any way this will end, but not without more exploitation by all.

No comments: